Sunday, April 3, 2011

BEDA Day 3: Crushes

Crushes...where to begin on this one. I do have to say that crushes is a tougher topic to write about than I thought it would be. When I hear the word crush, I think of the middle school relationship type where student A is crushing on student B. If that were the the case, there's a long list of ladies (celebrity or not) who I have crushed on over the years. That said, I am glad that "crushes" is not limited to celebrity-type crushes because I'm not sure I want to blog about why I think Natalie Portman is hot (short answer: I think she is and that's about all the reason I really have).

Since I've stared at this paragraph for ten minutes and still have not been able to narrow it down to a single thing, I think I'll approach it in the Academy Award's way, multiple categories (The Naties?):

Sports: Joe Mauer, Catcher, Minnesota Twins. Dude can flat out play ball and he seems humble to boot. My Midwestern sensibilities can appreciate someone who just goes out and does their job.
Author: J.K. Rowling. While I don't know about her other writing, the Harry Potter series, is in my opinion, one of the greatest series out there. Not only are they incredibly written in their own right, but the universe she created is second only to probably Tolkien's Middle Earth in scope, depth, and detail.
Fictional Character: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars. I'll take the calm, level-headed Obi-Wan over any other Jedi in the Star Wars universe.
Musician: Billie Joe Armstrong. You must be doing something right if your 90's punk band is now an international sensation and still going strong almost 20 years later.
Actor, Female: Natalie Portman...see above
Actor, Male: Denzel Washington. This guy can flat out act.
Intellectual: Dr. D. Hoffman a political science professor who I had for a couple of classes. Her research interests in the presidency and U.S. elections closely match mine and I hope that maybe someday we can collaborate on a future political science/history project.
Political: President Barack Obama. Like many, his 2004 convention speech caught my eye to where I walked into work the following day and said to a die-hard Democrat I worked with that he'll be president some day. After reading Dreams from My Father, I really started admire and respect him and hoped that my prediction would come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment