Wednesday, April 6, 2011

BEDA Day 6: Best Live Entertainment

I'm not much of a concert goer. Most concerts I've been at, I've also been in as the performer. The first non-concert band concert I remember going to was a Third Eye Blind show the summer between my freshman and sophomore years at UNI. I got the tickets for free.

That said, I'm a huge Gaelic Storm fan. If you aren't familiar with Gaelic Storm, they first came to fame as the band during the dance scene in steerage in the movie Titanic. They've gone on to have a great career in the years since Titanic.

The best concert I have ever attended was a Gaelic Storm concert at Frank O'Dowd's Irish Pub in Galena, IL.

Frank's is an authentic Irish pub that was actually constructed in Ireland, broke down and shipped over to the states and reconstructed by the very men who built it in Ireland. If you're ever in Galena, I'd highly recommend it as a place to eat.

The concert was great. It's a very small and intimate setting and was a great place for a high energy band like Gaelic Storm to perform. We were able to get right up next to the stage, and by right next to the stage means I could have reached across the railing that separated the band from the audience and touched the bagpipe player. I've been to several Gaelic Storm concerts since then and while they're still very entertaining, none of them have come close to the fun I had at that concert in 2006.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited they're back on for Irish Hooley this year! Seeing them my first year here was such a blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an actual band in the movie? I bet they are great then, I might have to look into them.

    ReplyDelete